Thursday, September 3, 2015

Internet Thievery

Off to the Bank!
My bank notified me that they had stopped an unauthorized attempt to access my online account.  As a result, they were notifying me that I could not access my account until I changed my password which they asked me to do immediately, so I did.  Then I changed my passwords at other websites.  I was very grateful for my bank's vigilance.

I don't have much money, so losing any or all to some stupid internet hackers who think it's funny to steal from people online would be a major disaster for me.  But of course, the thieves aren't thinking about that.  They don't associate their online targets with real people.


That is, probably people like them who are struggling to make ends meet, have lost a job or working part-time and need money.  We all need money to live in this world right now.  Unfortunately, my understanding about online thieves is that they have little to no capability to empathize, but they do know that what they're doing -- stealing -- is wrong.  Even if these thieves ever had the opportunity to meet their victims face to face, there would be little to no remorse about hurting them.

Where did these thieves come from?

Photo courtesy: Dailymail.co.uk
The media has covered again this year the scammers who prey on people who don't know how the IRS conducts business, so they believe the scammers' claims that they are from the IRS and if they don't reconcile their accounts, i.e. pay up or provide their personal information including bank account information, they'll be arrested and jailed.  Then there are the other scammers who call and claim to be calling on behalf of the person's relative who is in jail/sick in the hospital/had a car accident/or some other personal disaster and who needs money immediately. Amazing that some of the older scams are still around like the e-mail scam out of Nigeria telling the recipient they could make an amazing amount of money as a commission for service, all they have to do is accept a check/money order for a small amount, cash or deposit it in their bank, then send the e-mail sender another amount of money.

Where did these scamming thieves come from?

Capitalism fosters not only competition and achievement, but also income inequality, poverty, and economic crimes.  It is a "survival of the fittest" economic system.  But no, it's really not.  It's more a "survival of what is valued" by a society.  So, if the Arts are marginalized, then people who work in the Arts will not earn as much money as people who are in a profession that's valued like CEO of a corporation, pro-sports athlete, Reality TV star, or a woman.

Where did these values come from?

The more I examine money and its role in human life, the more it scares me.  Humans have established a way of thinking guaranteed to hurt some people and reward others.  Is it time for humans to re-evaluate these values and the systems they govern?  I think so.  Will it happen in my lifetime?  I doubt it.  But I've also been seeing more and more people challenging and questioning the economic systems we've created and the whole idea of money.

If money were not needed, then thieves would not need it.  No one would need it.  I think that's profound.  Just think about it.... 

No comments: