Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Goodbye, Ray Bradbury





News has hit the world that Ray Bradbury has died at the age of 91.  I wonder if he ever imagined living so long?  Or would have written so many classics, especially in the science fiction and fantasy genres?  He was truly a pioneer in bringing these genres to the fore and giving them a reason to be popular.


 I cannot remember my first encounter of Bradbury's books.  We had a lot of science fiction in the house when I was growing up because of my older brother's interest, and I suspect he had encouraged me.  I remember reading Something Wicked This Way Comes.  Halloween changed forever for me since I read the book around that time.  Talk about spooky atmosphere. 

Bradbury is probably best known for his science fiction short stories and novelsFahrenheit 451, for example, The Martian Chronicles and The Illustrated Man, among many others.  But he didn't limit himself as a writer and explored other genres as well. 

I will remember Ray Bradbury as the guy who scared the bejeezus out of me when I was young as well as enchanted my mind as an adult.  May the Universe forever smile on him!

No comments: